Installing And Using The Groomers Helper®
IMPORTANT: NEVER LEAVE AN ANIMAL IN RESTRAINTS UNATTENDED AND NEVER ALLOW AN ANIMAL TO STRUGGLE IN RESTRAINTS. IF THEY DO NOT CALM DOWN RELEASE THEM IMMEDIATELY.
STEP 1. Place the Groomers Helper® Clamp around your grooming arm and tighten it at the appropriate height. NOTE: The Groomers Helper® Clamp has been designed to fit square and round grooming arms from 3/4″ to 1″. The tether (rope) should face the pet and the adjusting knob should face you. If you are right handed the slide button should be to your right. Left handed the slide button should be on your left.
STEP 2. Attach the Groomers Helper® Loop to the pet. The loop should fit snugly around the neck. Use the stainless steel cam lock to size down the loop to the back of the pet’s neck. You should be able to get two fingers between the loop and the pet’s neck. In the event of an emergency such as a seizure you may release the pet immediately by using the quick release buckle on the loop.
STEP 3. Spin the loop around and connect it to the top of the grooming arm.
STEP 4. Attach the tether to the D-Ring on the Groomers Helper® Loop.
STEP 5. Adjust the arm’s height so that the pet is standing normally with just a little slack. You can now pull the tether (rope) in gently, bringing the pet closer to the arm and lock the slide button when you reach the desired distance from the grooming arm. The Groomers Helper® pulls the loop away from the pet’s trachea, eliminating choking.
NOTE: At first, use with a calm pet so you can become acquainted with your Groomers Helper®. You may develop a rapport with them by gently pulling in the tether. You will feel that they are pulling back, which is their natural instinct. Let them pull back and think they won the “Tug-of-War” before you lock the tether. They usually calm down after the second or third “win” and you are now playing with them. It is easy to now make friends. Most pets respond favorably and calm down when they realize they are in restraints and not fighting you. As the pet calms down you may release more and more, until almost no restraint is needed. For general grooming let the pet just relax with slack in the tether. Only enough slack so they cannot chew the tether.
Reduce The Chances Of Being Bitten
If you think the pet might be a biter use the technique outlined below:
- Pull the tether (rope) through the Groomers Helper® clamp all the way.
- Open the quick release buckle on the loop.
- Face the pet away from you while the pet is sitting on the grooming table and sling the loop over the pet’s head from behind them and reconnect the quick release buckle behind the pet’s head.
- Attach the tether (rope on the Groomers Helper® clamp) to the “D” ring on the loop behind the pet’s head.
- Swivel the loop around the pet’s neck toward the arm so the “D” ring with the attached tether is positioned by the pet’s throat.
- While holding the large swivel eye bolt snap on top of the loop slide the stainless steel cam-loc down to the back of the neck and snap closed. Remember to allow for at least two fingers between the loop and the pet’s neck.
- Attach the swivel bolt snap to the eye at the top of the grooming arm and adjust the arm’s height so that the pet is standing normally with just a little slack. Never hang the pet with a tight loop!
- You can now pull the tether (rope) in gently bringing the pet closer to the arm and lock the slide button when you reach the desired distance from the grooming arm.
**Your hands should never be in front of the pet’s muzzle to be bitten.
Using The Different Pet Positioning Options
- FIRST POSITION: For general grooming so the pet cannot hang himself. Also the pet cannot back off, jump off, fall off, or tip the table over. You are now grooming hands free. You can do nails with one groomer on most dogs. No more spinners.
- SECOND POSITION: By putting the Groomers Helper® by the muzzle of the pet they cannot drop their heads so de-matting the chest and legs is much easier. No more head-droppers.
- THIRD POSITION: By putting the Groomers Helper® above the dogs head you can now quickly muzzle the dog to remove a matt or eye debris.
- NO GROOMING ARM: The no grooming arm in front for better top knots and better beards is attained with the extra arm and clamp set.
- TRI-TIE POSITION: The Tri-tie position needs the extra clamp and arm set and another Groomers Helper®. No more head bobblers.
- NO-SIT POSITION: By mounting the arm and clamp at the opposite end of the table, you can now put the Groomers Helper® around the dogs waist as shown. Now the dog is unable to sit and there is minimal equipment that gets in the way.
Advanced positioning: The no grooming arm in front position for better top knots and beards is attained with the extra arm and clamp set. In the secured to the arm position you may secure the pets head to one side of the grooming arm allowing you to be protected on the other side for cleaning and plucking ears, dematting beards on pets with no muzzle and you can do the nails on the toughest of dogs. This is usually a two-person operation. The tri-tie position for the elderly, blind and deaf dogs. No more head bobblers. This position needs the extra clamp & arm set and a second Groomers Helper®
The Cat Cross-tie position is attained with the extra clamp and arm set. Never put the loop around the cat’s neck. You may attach the loop either around the chest behind the front legs or over one shoulder and under the other arm. Clamp the grooming loop to the extra clamp and cat crosstie arm positioned on the opposite end of the table from the main grooming arm. Bring the Groomers Helper® down to the table deck so the slide button still operates. You can now hook the tether to the “D” ring on the loop. Open up the quick release and you are ready to crosstie the cat flat on the table so you do not have to scruff him at all times.
Groomers Helper Positioning (See Pictures)
This is the position for general grooming so the pet cannot hang himself. Also the pet cannot back back off, jump off, fall off, or tip the table over. You are now grooming hands free. You can do nails with one groomer on most dogs. No more spinners.
By putting the Groomers Helper by the muzzle of the pet, they cannot drop their head so de-matting the chest and legs is much easier. No more head droppers.
By putting the Groomers Helper®above the dogs head you can now quickly muzzle the dog to remove a mat or eye debris.
The no grooming arm in front for better top knots and better beards is attained with the extra arm and clamp set in the Professional Set.
Tri-Tie and No- Sit Positions
The Tri-Tie and No-Sit Positions require the extra arm and clamp set and the second Groomers Helper®. No more "head bobblers" and no more "sitters".